Tuesday, July 27, 2010

4 Classes, 4 Lessons

Today I taught four different classes (two ninth grade and two eight grade), but had four different lessons. 9B was a day behind 9A due to the unforeseen exodus last Friday at noon (insensitive language there? lol) and I saw 8C yesterday, but saw 8A for the first time this week. This is definitely the most scrambled my brain has been regarding keeping track of instructional material, and I feel as if I've successfully negotiated another rite of passage! This experience has helped me appreciate solely having one grade and getting to see each class every day during my first two years of teaching. While I think switching up the schedule so that I don't see each class each day will be good for my relationship with my students, it is more difficult to establish consistency.

College Football Discussion: Today was the first day of the Big 12 media days, and I know expansion talk is old news, but I don't understand why Big 12 commissioner, Dan Beebe, has received so much praise. All he did was promise the major would-be defectors (notably Texas, but also Texas A&M and Oklahoma) a bigger piece of the pie (essentially Colorado and Nebraska's pieces) for helping the conference remain in tact. Yes, the conference did not die, but increasing disparity isn't something that should be praised. A better move would've been to commence courting TCU, Air Force, BYU, and/or Boise State (essentially the cream of the MWC - yes I'm included Boise State in that because even though they'll be joining the MWC in 2011, Utah defecting to the Pac-10, makes them relevant to change gears again, especially since rivalries won't have been established yet) to keep them at 12 teams because the conference championship game earns the community it's hosted in close to $20 million (according to a 2007 article when San Antonio was vying for the event). I included four schools there because there might be issues regarding religious affiliation, but in terms of academics, the Big 12 doesn't nearly have the standards of the Big Ten or the Pac Ten (let's be honest, Nebraska is most going to profit from the billions in research sharing that occurs within the Big Ten). I bring all of this up because Nebraska was one of the four teams "on the clock" today and Bo Pelini had to field many questions regarding their move to the Big Ten. Additionally, I find it interesting that Pelini is convinces his defense will be better this year even without Ndamukong Suh.

Day 2 of the ACC media days seems to go as planned: blasting agents (poor UNC), high expectations for Virginia Tech (Beamer ball has been consistently good, but they've still not produced a national championship), Georgia Tech needing a better passing game (but playing against the option is just never fun), and UVA not really having any expectations (no shocker there). I really respect how the ACC gave Day 1 to the players because this signals a conference that gets it. Ultimately, college athletics is just a part of a college experience and that the development of young men is so much more than winning or losing football games. My hats off to you ACC.

"He is the life of parties he has never attended. If he were to punch you in the face, you'd have to fight the urge to thank him. Sharks have a week dedicated to him. He is the most interesting man in the world."

1 comment: