Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What we do for sport...

Today we were given a "tour" of the neighborhood near the school. I say "tour" because the school van was driving around (and as I mentioned previously, roads in Jakarta are a little less than obvious) and we all lost our barings relatively quickly. All things considered, it was good to get out and see a little bit more of the city as well as having an authentic Indonesian lunch. Additionally, it helped break up the monotony of unit and lesson planning (which I was working on all morning, other than for those who were "distracting" me via gchat - always welcome of course!)

The big news today is that Ab, Mike and I decided to meet up to watch the Spain/Germany game tonight. However the title of this post comes from the fact that the game will be starting at 1:30am... Hence, the game plan is, eat an early dinner, go to bed for 5-6 hours, wake up around midnight, go to the game, get home around 4am ish, and then grab another nap prior to going to school tomorrow. Given the environment around soccer here (people were literally yelling and screaming in the streets as the driver brought me from the airport to Ibu Thelma's), it should definitely be worth it!


Additionally, I'm a little concerned about when I get back to the United States because included in my rent are the services of a maid, who cleans the room and does my laundry (all inclusive for $270/month! oh how laughable that is compared with my experiences in NYC...)


And concluding thoughts: new sports idea: high-school auto racing, they have it, but it's not organized. or how about cross-country chess, run a mile in between each move, see how fast that goes. or turkish wrestling, oh wait, that's real...

1 comment:

  1. Totally worth it! I love the high-pitched boistrous nature of Indonesians, which was in full force last night. We spent about 30 minutes walking around Kemang trying to find a place where we could sit and watch the game, but were unsuccessful so ended up watching the game, standing in the parking lot watching a big screen. The crowd of Indonesians was very biased for Germany (or Jerman), but they still got VERY excited for every opportunity provided by David Villa and Spanyol (fair weather fans in the moment) Despite the crazy impact it had on my sleep schedule, I'm looking to watch the final two games out with the people as well (but we might leave a little earlier so we can get a seat somewhere!)

    ReplyDelete