Thursday, July 15, 2010

Socratic?

Things really started to come together in room 102 today. First of all, my copies are officially made (and I didn't even need to wait until the secretaries were gone and be all 007 about it!) Secondly, I've decided to seat my students in a semi-circle so that all students can see one another, have access to the board, and allow me to keep them more accountable for their work. At least this is the theory, we'll see how it plays out. Honestly the only reason I even have the option to give this a try is due to the largest class only having 20 students. I am really excited to see how the change in class size changes the way in which I'm able to present material and interact with the class (the excitement is of course assuming that this will have a positive effect on both...sorry Alex, I did not enjoy when you stood on your desk, threw your pencil out the window, and then shouted about how you "unprepared" for class since you didn't have a pencil. Funny in hind sight, but arguably not ideal for a learning environment)

In other news, I am not going to Singapore tomorrow. Apparently April is an inadequate time frame in which to have submitted my materials... I know things will come together, but it's kind of annoying to have this hanging over my head. On the bright side, I'll have this weekend to get to know Kemang and Jakarta a little better and be all rested up for the first day of school! (I'll make sure to pack my Spiderman lunchbox and take a picture of myself by my door on the way out to add to mom's collection :) lol)

Finally, the most interesting cultural event from the past few days was the candlelight vigil for George Steinbrenner. Actually, Jakarta didn't blink on that one, or the NL breaking the AL's streak, not exactly sure why not...but fun fact, for my friend's cell phone number, if you look at the letters on a telephone that go with his number it spells out "oh or ok, oh zk" What does it mean? I don't know, he doesn't know, but it's how we start every conversation.

Notice the "College on the Clock," William and Mary will be next month but I thought I should support Indo first. Also, "If I" by Demetri Martin is both hilarious and deep, well played good sir. PAX

1 comment:

  1. That kid is hilarious.
    I CAN'T WORK. I DON'T HAVE A PENCIL.

    ReplyDelete