Wednesday, August 4, 2010

First Gamelan Sighting!

I've been in Indonesia for over a month, but until today, I had yet to see any gamelan! Some randos outside of Blok M saved the day, however, as they were banging away (it didn't really sound like 'sluku sluku' otherwise I would've joined in lol) Gamelan clearly isn't as pervasive as it is in Ubud, but is another reason to venture out and explore the country!

Wednesdays are pretty awesome because I only teach four periods that consist of only two eighth grade classes, so I have a lot of time for planning and grading throughout the day. Consequently, I was able to leave today at 4pm and it would've been considerably earlier if not for the staff meeting at 3. These have been pretty cool because they involve the entire staff, food is provided, and they help democratize school decisions. Today's meeting went a little long because we had to discuss the plans for Friday's school-wide picnic to ISCI (International Sports Center of Indonesia). My role for Friday will be to help facilitate soccer and I'm doing it with the guy from school who introduced me to the futsal league. I think we're rather qualified and should have a good time :)

"Dogs are forever in the push-up position. I was watching late-night TV, and there was an ad that told me to forget everything I knew about slip covers, and it was a load off my mind. And then they tried to sell me slip covers, but I didn't know what they were!"

No comments:

Post a Comment