Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ramadan Begins

Today is the beginning of Ramadan, and consequently is the first day off from school. Mid-week holidays like this seem to make the weeks go by so much faster (well obviously Jon, they decrease your workload by 20%!) and last night, as I was getting approval from Ibu Elena to starting SAT tutoring, I realized next week is going to be full of time when I'll be out of school. Next Tuesday is Independence Day (day off), Thursday and Friday I'll be at IB training, and either Monday or Wednesday I'll be going to Singapore (or at least, this is the latest lol) Consequently, I've been working on a packet of work for next week that will involve me teaching 1 lesson and providing 4 lessons worth of substitute work...

Back to the SAT tutoring, one of my students' older sister is currently a junior at the high school associated with Mentari, and she isn't feeling comfortable in math class. Her father went to college in the US and she is looking to do the same, but is not feeling prepared for the math section of the SAT. Being fresh off LSAT preparation, I'm in complete attack mode when it comes to standardized tests, and so I'm excited to start helping high schoolers dominate the standardized exam for their next step in life!

Lastly, for those following Ramadan, you fast during the day. I realized today how brazen that makes me appear to the surrounding population to be on a run (in the tropics nonetheless) while everyone is fasting. Consequently, out of respect for those observing Ramadan, I am going to limit my runs during this month until after the fast has been broken and for solidarity, some days may join my students and friends out here in their fast.

"I once saw a forklift life a crate of forks; it was way too literal for me. I recently took up ice sculpting. Last night I made an ice cube. This morning I made 12, I was prolific! I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn't have one, so I bought a cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment