Friday, August 13, 2010

Kemang Food Fest

After school today, I walked to downtown Kemang to get a cup of coffee and finish up the first draft of my personal statement. Initially I wanted to go to a privately owned business to support the local economy rather than a chain:), but every place inside of the Kemang Food Fest was closed due to the fast. Consequently, I went across the street to a very nice Indonesian strip mall. Promptly at 6pm, the mosques rang out declaring that the fast could be broken and in a matter of minutes, the Food Fest (kind of an open air plaza with about 15 store-front restaurants with a common seating area in the middle) went from deserted and closed to loud and bustling. It was great to see the unity with the sacrifice coupled with making the breaking of the fast a social event.

Regarding my reading list, this week I've started "Out of Africa," which started out dry but has been a pretty gripping read, as well as, the "Life of Pi." I've heard a lot about "Pi" over the years, but it was one of those books I never exactly got around to reading, however, Meg decided it seemed like a good one and so I've officially started my first international "book club." :) I realize this makes me quite a nerd, but I hope you will all forgive me :)

"I use the word 'totally' too much. I need to change it up and use a word that is different but has the same meaning. Mitch, do you like submarine-sandwiches? All-emcompassingly... I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, 'I hear music,' as though there's another way to take it in. 'You're not special, that's how I receive it too...I tried taste, but it did not work.' Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only disease you can get yelled at for. Darn it Otto, you're an alcoholic. Darn it Otto, you have Lupis... one of those two doesn't sound right."

No comments:

Post a Comment